Home » Money Management » Personal Finance

Personal Finance

Credit Scores Rise Dramatically After Filing Bankruptcy

Editor’s note: This is a guest post from Steve Rhode that we think is of interest to Dyer News readers. The Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia did some research into the recovery of credit and credit scores following filing Chater 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy. As with most empirical research...

Money at 30: Two Years Later

I don't know how this is possible but it's now been two years since I started this weekly column here on Dyer News. In that time a lot has changed for me personally, professionally, and financially... while also staying about the same. I'm still married, we continue to live in...

Money at 30: Beware the 401(k) "Force Out" 5

One of the benefits of writing about personal finance is that, when I find myself in frustrating financial situations, I at least enjoy the silver lining of getting an article out of it. This is what I had to remind myself of yesterday as I spent a nice chunk of...

Top 10 Personal Finance Articles of the Month — July 2018 3

It’s time again for my favorite feature here on Dyer News: a look at my top 10 personal finance articles of the month.  July saw a diverse slate of topics on the docket, from some basic tips for growing your savings and spending less, to more specific advice on investing...

Money at 30: 3 Homeowner Costs that Add to Your Monthly Bill 2

It's happening again: suddenly my wife and I are finding ourselves spending time searching Zillow and looking at the pretty homes available in our area. Plus, unlike the last time we played this game, the amount of money we have available for a possible down payment is reaching a respectable (but...

10 Lesser Known Benefits of Credit Cards

Editor’s note: This is a guest post from Allen Thompson that we think is of interest to Dyer News readers. The average indebted American household owes over $15,000 which means if you’re one of the few who is not saddled with a mortgage, student loans, or credit card debt, consider...

A Guide to Building Credit and Increasing Your Credit Scores 4

When it comes to credit in America, there’s some good news. A recent study found that 57% of those surveyed had checked their credit scores in the past year — a significant increase from just a few years prior. But what about the other 43%? And how many of that...

Nearly Half of Millennials Say Their Credit is Holding Them Back 2

For many people, their 20s can be a rocky time for their finances. In fact, according to a TransUnion study, 43% of Millennials have subprime credit scores. As a result, it seems that nearly half of those in their 20s and early 30s are facing subsequent financial hardships. A new...